Wednesday 10 June 2015

Comfort food and cocktails at Bierkeller Liverpool...

As a food writer I enjoy eating at so many lovely restaurants and it is wonderful to enjoy fine dining and a variety of delicious cuisine from all around the world cooked by chefs at the top of their profession. Sometimes, it is nice to eat out somewhere with a truly relaxed and informal feel to it with a menu filled with what can only be described as comfort food. Yesterday was a very hectic day, I had an early meeting at the Hilton hotel in Liverpool followed by rushing to Chester for another meeting (as well as a dental appointment!) by the time I got back to Liverpool in the evening I was feeling tired and stressed out, so I was delighted to head out for dinner and looking forward to some truly rib-sticking classic comfort food.
I was given the opportunity to review the Bierkeller in Liverpool and I perused the menu online, thrilled to see hearty dishes such as hot dogs, burgers and sharing platters. Since I am not the type of girl to nibble half a lettuce leaf when I go out to dinner, this was a menu I was pleased by! Bierkeller is known for its amazing selection of beers, imported German Bratwurst (and authentic Currywurst which I practically lived on when I lived in Heidelberg!) as well as live music including performances by traditional Bavarian style Oompah Bands! Located in the heart of Liverpool One, we made our way to the Bierkeller looking forward to food and fun. In the last of the evening sunshine, people were soaking up the rays on the outdoor terrace and drinking huge traditional Steins of German Bier.
We were warmly welcomed and ushered to a comfortable table with booth seating, overlooking the busy bar where live music was playing. We sipped a delicious Long Island Iced Tea (summer=cocktails!) and perused the menu before deciding to start our meal with The Shooters Platter, consisting of a giant tray filled with Buffalo wings, onion rings, mozzarella melts, cheese nachos and spicy wedges. This was served with BBQ and sweet chilli dips. My oh my, there was supposed to be enough for 2 people to share but in truth there was enough for four. Portion sizes at Bierkeller are very generous which makes it a great place to head when you are feeling very hungry.   I was impressed by the vast choice on the menu, including pizzas, pasta, salads, gumbo and curry. There really is something for everyone. 

The Shooters Platter 

Long Island Iced Tea 
 
For the main course I was determined to have a burger (I should warn you, nobody stands between me and a burger after a long and stressful day!) so I was pleased to see a choice of Gourmet burgers on the menu for £7.95 including Prime Ground Beef, Chicken, Wild Boar & Apple, Kangaroo, Venison and Lamb. Despite the more exotic options, I opted for the chicken burger topped with The Tex Mex; Chilli, sour cream, salsa and cheese. The burger was served with lettuce, tomato, and relish in a brioche bun. The chicken was tender and juicy; having been flame grilled to perfection and the brioche bun was light and fluffy. 

Gourmet chicken burger with Tex Mex topping 


The Tex Mex topping added another element of enjoyment to the delicious burger and the bucket of crispy fries were the perfect accompaniment. My dining companion had the The Big Dog (£7.95) two classic German Bratwurst hot dogs served in a roll with mustard and ketchup. He chose the decadent topping of The Dirty Sanchez, Jalapenos, guacamole, fresh chipotle salsa, cheese and chipotle sauce. 


 The Big Dog with Dirty Sanchez topping 


Crispy fries topped with fresh herbs

He loved the smoky hot dogs and the topping just added even more enjoyment to this delicious dish! For once I passed up the option of dessert, but he chose the Apple Strudel, served with berry coulis and vanilla bean ice cream. I always feel most desserts are overpriced when dining out (for example, places which serve slivers of shop bought cheesecake for £5.95...not fair!) but I think that Bierkeller desserts are fairly priced at just £2. 95 The strudel was light and airy with plenty of apple and a good kick of cinnamon too. 

Apple Strudel with raspberry coulis and vanilla bean ice cream


Meanwhile, for my dessert I had another cocktail which quite frankly I think is the best kind of dessert! the 'Elephants Mudbath' was like a delicious milkshake with a nice alcoholic kick and plenty of fragrant mint. Yum! 
The whole meal was delicious, the service was friendly and the cocktails were strong and tasty. I would recommend Bierkeller as the perfect place to go with a group of friends for a few drinks, or just for a delicious bite to eat alongside a few cocktails! 
 What do you all think, would you like to have some delicious food and cocktails at Bierkeller? I can't  wait to hear your thoughts and thank you so much for reading this post! 


Birkeller Liverpool 
6 Thomas Steers Way
Liverpool 
L1 8LW

08455 333 000




Until next time,

Camille 

xo 

7 comments:

  1. delicious food..i love your pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post, Cami! It was such a nice reading. The prictures are also lovely. Thank you so much for sharing! xx

    http://alemint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of the Elephant's Mudbath!

    Suze | LuxuryColumnist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that food looks so good! x www.coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious but I think I would be completely uncomfortable after I ate that hahaha

    Danika Maia
    www.danikamaia.com
    BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I have serious food envy right now!!!!

    Chelsea | www.growuptomorrow.com

    ReplyDelete